People all know the benefits of green vegetables for the human health. A recent report shows that fruits and vegetables can help stop millions of deaths each year, as long as you eat the right amount of vegetables. Choosing a diet heavy in fruits and vegetables might help ward off chronic diseases while keeping your svelte. Today, many people like plant-based diet because it makes them healthier day by day. Moreover, a plant-based diet is more economical, particularly if you eat local, in-season produce. Reading this article will help you have more reasons to eat more plants because here we reveal to you 5 unexpected health benefits of a plant-based diet. Check out below!
What Is A Plant-Based Diet?
A plant-based diet is a diet based on foods which derive from plants, such as vegetables, fruits, legumes, seeds, nuts and grains. It means that this diet contains little or no food from animal sources. Nutritionists have divided the plant-based diet into six major food groups, which are:
- Group 1 includes fruits, such as pineapple, grape, berry, tomato, banana, apple, pear, orange, and grapefruit.
- Group 2 includes vegetables, such as cauliflower, sweet potato, mushroom, squash, asparagus, cucumber, corn, carrot, celery, and bell peppers.
- Group 3 contains grains, such as oatmeal, brown rice, pasta, whole bran tortilla, and barley.
- Group 4 includes legumes, such as black beans, chicken legumes, soy beans, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, and lentils.
- Group 5 includes green leafy vegetables, such as broccoli, spinach, kale, and lettuce.
- Group 6 includes oils and fats, such as cashew nuts, peanuts, avocados, and olive oil.
Now, it is time to know unexpected health benefits of eating more plants, so you will have more reasons to fill your plate up with good stuff.
Top 5 Unexpected Health Benefits Of A Plant-Based Diet
1. Lower Cholesterol Level Naturally
One of major benefits of embracing a plant-based diet is lowering cholesterol. Cholesterol level is the amount of fat your body needs to function normally. It is absorbed in the liver and is found in animal foods, such as meat, eggs, dairy products, butter, and lard. Our body can produce an adequate amount of essential cholesterol by itself, so all the cholesterol that the body absorbs from the foods is excess. High cholesterol levels make you susceptible to diabetes, obesity and heart disease. Therefore, to naturally reduce your cholesterol level, you should go for a plant-based diet.
The majority of people do not know that plants do not have cholesterol, even the saturated sources such as cacao or coconut. It is said that the simplest way to lower cholesterol is having a plant-based diet. Nutrition experts advise that patients with high cholesterol levels should regularly eat green leafy vegetables, such as almond, spinach and kale, to improve their condition.
Recent research has shown that the levels of inulin and fiber in these vegetables are very high. Besides, they are also rich in antioxidants, so they can increase the amount of…