The ancient Ayurvedic plant centella asiatica (gotu kola) is the new fashionable anti-ageing ingredient in cosmetics, used by more and more large cosmetic companies. London-based natural skincare specialists LipoTherapeia have been using centella asiatica in their skincare products and treatments for 15 years and have now published a comprehensive research-based overview of the benefits of gotu kola on skin and blood vessels.
Centella asiatica is one of the most important anti-aging, skin healing, blood vessel supporting, skin tightening and anti-cellulite actives known today. As of today, there are at least 47 research papers on the different skin properties of centella asiatica and more than 640 peer-reviewed studies on gotu kola’s effect on general health, from atherosclerosis to Alzheimer’s. In fact, one of these studies describes centella asiatica as ‘a medicinal plant panacea used for 3000 years’.
“We would not use the word ‘panacea’, as it denotes hype and miraculous results, in which we do not believe, but we would definitely call centella asiatica an amazing herb that offers a natural, balanced approach to skin firming, anti-ageing and cellulite“, LipoTherapeia’s director, Georgios Tzenichristos explained. “We have been using centella for a good 15 years at our clinic and have clearly seen the skin benefits this ancient herb has to offer“, Georgios added.
LipoTherapeia has published a 24-long list summary of centella’s benefits, based on those clinical, in-vivo, ex-vivo and in-vitro studies:
- Boost the production of fibronectin, collagen type I, collagen type III, and stimulate fibroblast proliferation, for tighter, firmer skin and connective tissue
- Protects elastin and hyaluronic acid from breakdown, thereby protecting skin elasticity, health and hydration
- Fight skin ageing and wrinkles, due to this combined actions on collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid
- Improve stretch marks and cellulite
- Prevent hypertrophic scars and keloids
- Treat burns
- Accelerate wound healing
- Prevent and treat fibrosis
- Repair skin and blood vessels
- Protect blood vessel walls and improves leaky capillaries, thereby improving water retention
- Boost lower leg tissue oxygenation, removal of carbon dioxide from tissues and reduce ankle swelling/oedema, leg heaviness, itching, pain, puffiness, restlessness, cramps and tiredness
- Improve chronic venous insufficiency (CVI), lymphoedema, vein hypertension, varicose veins, hemorrhoids and phlebitis
- Protect veins from the aftermath of deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- Diabetics avoid the clinical stages of vein disease
- Stabilise arterial plaque and prevent atherosclerosis
- Protect from sun damage
- Treat hyperpigmentation
- Reduce skin dryness
- Has anti-inflammatory properties
- Is a powerful antioxidant
- Fights glycation
- Treat fat tissue inflammation
- Stimulate lipolysis better than caffeine
- Prevent vitiligo by protecting melanin cells from oxidative damage
Although centella asiatica has been used by doctors for anti-aging, wound healing and vein disorders in Germany, Italy and France for decades, it is relatively unknown in the US or the UK. However, more and more people are now becoming aware of centella and herbal teas, nutritional supplements, anti-ageing creams, cellulite creams, facials and cellulite treatments using gotu kola are now more common.